How to Learn to Accept Your Body
Between media pressures and our own insecurities, loving our bodies can be hard. When your body starts to get in the way of your everyday life, as it often can when you have symptoms of urinary incontinence, it can be even harder to accept one’s self. That is why we put together a list of ways to love your body just the way it is:
1. Make a list of all of the things that your body lets you do. This could be activities that you love, spending time with your friends and family or if you are a mom, even the fact that you were able to give birth to your child. Look at it and add to it as often as you can.
2. Pick a kind of exercise that you enjoy – not something you hate and are only doing because it’s healthy, but something you actually enjoy – and revel in making your body stronger and healthier. Do this regularly and it will help you remember how extraordinary your body is.
3. Don’t let your UI or any other body issues keep you from doing the things you love. Quitting the things that make you happy will make you resent your body, which will only make your relationship with your body worse.
4. Remember that you are not alone. UI is much more common than most people think, and many of your friends or colleagues are most likely living with it without telling you. Remembering that other people are going through the same things as you can help to put your relationship with your body into perspective.
5.Treat your body with respect. Nourishing your body and taking time to focus on what your body needs can not only make you feel more in control, but may also help diminish symptoms of UI.
6. Think about the things you could be doing with your energy instead of stressing about your UI or your body image. Pick one and do it.
7. Keep in mind that if you had less UI symptoms, or managed to lose a few pounds, your life wouldn’t be dramatically different. Happiness is not a certain body type, age, or symptom level.
Life is too short to spend time stressing about your body. Learning to accept it and love it can make it easier to live a happy life!